Developing Hybrid Careers
CEO & Co-Founder of People Collider
SP Jain School of Global Management is a leading Australian business school known for its disruptive innovation in business education. With campuses in Singapore, Dubai, Mumbai, and Sydney, our programs have been recognised by highly regarded global rankings that include Times Higher Education – Wall Street Journal, Forbes, The Economist and Financial Times. To know more about the SP Jain Executive MBA and apply for scholarships for its October 2019 intake, please visit www.spjain.sg/emba
Career development used to be a straightforward and predictable path. If you had chosen a degree in accounting, you’ll become an accountant. If you chose a degree in medicine, you’ll eventually become a doctor.
In recent years, we see careers such as social media manager, data scientist, blockchain developer, fintech, AR artist and many more. They emerge where no degree had existed that could prepare anyone for. No longer are careers about climbing ladders, rather, it has become a mosaic of skills and interests. A hybrid of multiple skill sets converge to create new roles that never existed before. Therein lies endless possibilities in shaping one’s career.
About Philippa Penfold
Philippa Penfold, or simply known as Pip, has 20 years of corporate HR experience before embarking on her hybrid career journey. In the course of Pip’s HR work, she spent endless hours supporting the learning and development of employees and has seen the change from career ladders to hybrid careers first-hand. Today, Pip brings together HR & Tech through research and education to help HR build future workplaces we all want to work in.
In this episode, you will enjoy…
- Learning more about today’s career development and what it involves
- Understanding more about Hybrid Careers and its evolution over time
- Identifying some of the Hybrid Careers that are flourishing nowadays
- How individuals develop their own Hybrid Careers using their skill sets
- Recognising the challenges an individual faces when embarking on a Hybrid Career
- What kind of learning should one go through in order to successfully develop a Hybrid Career
- Learning about the future of Hybrid Careers in different industries
- A special advice from Pip’s years of experience
- Innovation actually doesn’t reside in an individual nor does it reside in a specialism. Innovation is created, it’s the spark where two different people collide.
- The idea of a learning mosaic is like if you give everybody exactly the same number and color of tiles, and the picture each of them create will be completely different.
- Be curious and embrace your evolution. There is more than one definition of success.
If you would like to get in touch with Pip, you may do so via:
We love feedback and recommendations!
If you have a recommendation on topics you’d like to cover or leaders you’d like us to interview, do drop us a line. Also, send us your feedback on how we can make this podcast better for you.
Like us? Rate & Review us!
If you like the show, please subscribe in iTunes, or any other podcast platforms below. When you have the time, please rate and review us.
Every rating helps us build more credibility and attract new listeners… which helps us keep making the show. : )